The first European settlers arrived around 1675, and had acquired most of today’s Essex County from the Native Americans. Those who came from Newark on the trail that now corresponds to South Orange Avenue settled the area that became South Orange Village. When the Morris and Essex Railroad from Newark was extended to the area in 1838, a land speculator by the name of John Shedden built a railroad station in what was then called Jefferson Village and named it Maplewood. This name came to comprise areas known as Hilton, Jefferson Village, and areas previously part of Springfield. In 1868, farms were divided into parcels for residential housing. The 1920s saw significant growth in new residents.
South Orange/Maplewood – Two Towns – One Community – watch this video to learn more: http://www.twotowns.org/