Livingston is named after New Jersey’s first Govenor, William Livingston, and was incorporated in 1862. During the 1800′s, farming and lumber were the main industries in town.
The population grew quickly after 1920s when automobiles became more accessible. As a suburb of Newark, the town experienced many housing developments especially after World War II with its peak in 1970 of more than thirty thousand residents. During this growth period, many services were organized including volunteer Fire Department in 1922, first regular Livingstone Police chief in 1929, a Planning Commission in 1930, two hospitals opened in 1959 and 1960, new public library in 1961, and new municipal complex in 1963.
The last surviving Harrison Cider Apple tree, the most famous of the 18th century Newark cider apples was rescued from extinction in 1976 in Livingston.
Today, some 28,000 people enjoy a suburban lifestyle with close proximity to New York City. Its school system and other programs have been drawing new residents to the town. Its population has become increasingly diverse while the residents maintain the tradition of community volunteerism.