Top 10 Options to Downsize Your Home is an increasingly critical topic since every 5 minutes a Baby Boomer turns 60-65. It is the largest segment of the population and whatever life stage the Boomers are in marketers, and builders need to respond thoughtfully in order to capitalize. Unlike previous retirees, the Baby Boomer profile is far more active and well heeled, making them less likely to ride off into the sunset in Florida, Arizona or Vegas to spend their retirement years so far from family and friends.
So where should they go? If staying local is your goal, the good news is that in the Union, Essex and Morris counties of New Jersey builders are responding with new construction that addresses this very need. After much research below is my personal Top 10 Options to Downsize Your Home (in no particular order). I based my criteria on convenient locations, price, amenities and setting.
The Top 10
A relatively new style of construction is called different things in different areas, but they are basically “cluster style” developments. Because the clusters are 2-3 houses grouped side by side it offers more privacy than a traditional townhouse style development with more light. You’ve probably noticed them popping up around- they all have a similar look and feel. These developments offer various types of units and layouts and tend to come with big square footage. Some great examples are:
- “Bel-Air” in West Orange – there are 3 different developments that include single family homes, cluster style and town homes. To see their newest development click here.
- The “South Mountain Manors” in South Orange -built approximately 7 years ago, these are cluster style homes with 2 units per cluster and therefor sharing only one wall. This allows more light to come into the home. The units are very spacious with varying floor plans and approximately 4,000-5,000 square feet of living space. The jitney service stops right in front and takes residents to the Sour Orange train station- a 30 minute train ride to midtown NYC. There are 2 currently for sale. Take a look for yourself here
- “The Enclave” – in Short Hills. This relatively small development is currently under construction and is located in town with walking access to stores, restaurants, movie theatre, schools and the train station. To see more about the various options for customization and pricing please click here. If you would like to see them in person please give me a shout- I work right across the street and am very familiar with these units. Learn more about what makes life in Short Hills so special by clicking here.
For those seeking less maintenance and more convenience there are luxury rental properties springing up all through the counties. Most are offering high-end kitchen and baths, large bedrooms, walk in closets and many are even pet friendly. Some really great options of these are:
4. The “Gaslight Commons“and 5. “The Avenue” are both located in the heart of the village of South Orange — just steps to the train station, 5 plex movie theatre, the live performing arts theatre, restaurants, shops etc. You can learn more about both options by clicking on the images. To learn more about life in the village of South Orange click here.
5. “The Station House” in Maplewood is currently under construction and will also be a luxury rental building right in the heart of Maplewood village. Maplewood is a charming village and offers its residents a wide variety of restaurants, a 4- plex movie theatre, several salons/spas and the train to NYC. You can learn more about what makes it such an ideal place to live by clicking here. The building is supposed to open for business in just a few months. Click on the image for more information about this much anticipated development.
6. Livingston Town Center is a great option. Located in the heart of town it is a mixed use community that offers apartment style units, single family homes and townhomes. The bus to NYC stops right in front. Learn more about Livingston here.
In Summit there are several new developments going up that are within walking distance to the heart of its vibrant village:
7. The luxurious townhomes at 25 Norwood Avenue are in close proximity to town and train. The one pictured here is for sale for $1,395,000 has 3 bedrooms / 3 baths with 2,800 square feet of living space. If you would like to see it in person give me a call at (917) 327-0701.
8. Summit Place -is a brand new development still under construction. There are 11 units located at 14 Euclid Ave, Summit, NJ – just blocks to the downtown. This unit has 2 units, 2 1/2 baths with 1788 square feet and I listed for $880,000. For more pictures and info click here.
9. Summit Square – 13 Eggers Court Summit, NJ – 3 bedroom / 3 bath town home with eat in kitchen, fireplace and many other high end amenities. For more pictures and specifics about this property click here.
A luxury rental called Skyline Ridge centrally located in Springfield, NJ just a mile to the towns of Summit and Millburn. Built 4 years ago, it sits up high on the hills of Springfield offering spectacular NYC skyline views. They offer 2 bedroom / 2 1/2 bath apartments with varying layouts, terraces and patios. Rents vary from $3,000 -$5,000 per month depending on the apartment’s location (view) and square footage. The apartments have luxurious kitchens and baths, large walk in closets and is extremely pet friendly. It’s also the place I now call home.
Let me know if you are thinking of down sizing and want to know more about these and other options for your next move. Email:[email protected] OR Text/ Cell # (917) 327-0701.